Further customize spformdesigner forms -and a couple of other questions

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:03 PM
Edited Oct 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM

My "normal" method for creating custom forms has either been Infopath or via Data Views.  In both of those cases I can modify the forms to, for example, highlight certain field names or add colors, etc., to certain fields.  So I was surprised to see that your solution does not create/use Data Views in the New/Edit/Display forms, so my question becomes, how can I do further customization where needed?  Is there some "behind the scenes" code that I can modify on a per form basis perhaps?  I did not find anything specific looking at the aspx pages via SPD.  I really REALLY like the way your solution works, especially as it works across all 3 standard forms without the need to use SPD. 

How can I add more Title fields as well as more rows?  Can I specifiy cell properties via the tool?

When I deployed, all works as expected, but I did not see anything about the Language Packs in Central Admin.  I installed SharePointToolBasket.wsp, did I miss a step along the way or does this not exist for an English only deployment?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2009 at 4:53 AM

Hi,

The customization is achieved by implementing a custom class deriving from ListFieldIterator. A custom control template overriding the default SharePoint rendering template ListForm is deployed to CONTROLTEMPLATES and calls that listfield iterator.

If you use the SPFormsDesigner with content types, this custom control template is only associated to the given content types instead of replacing the default SharePoint behavior for all the lists.

So, if you want to customize further, you can either mimic what I did by creating new content types, either customize directly the custom class and add what you need to do.

Best Regards