Feedback on Page Rating

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Hello there

First of all thank you for developing the Document Rating System!!
I have some questions and input concerning the Page Rating.

My configuration
I have installed the solution "SharePoint Document Rating System MOSS ONLY Solution" of the current stable release:
http://sptoolbasket.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=21960#DownloadId=58119

I have "unhided" the hidden list "PageRating", as you described in a previous post, so that the Web Part "Rating System - Show Rating" displays the Page Ratings too.

My questions and feedback

1) Where are the ratings (and comments) saved?
The only way I seem to be able to access the comments is by using the "Item rating report" page, but there I can neither export them, nor sort them.
Is there an easy way to extend the "Document Rating List Report", so that:

• the comments are shown in the List Report
  • the List Report is sortable
  • a filter can be defined in the List Report

The comments is the most important, the rest would be useful, but can be handled after the csv-export.

2) Suggestions for the Page Rating Web Part:

• Next to the "Comment Text Area" there is an icon "View Comments". It would be good to be able to hide this icon for non-moderators:
  • It is not obvious for a user that the rating (especially the comment) is saved by clicking on the stars.
    An AJAX-Feedback, something like "Your rating has been saved" would be very helpful.
  • When the Web Part is loaded (and after the rating is saved), it would be good if the user comment would be loaded into the comment-text-area.
    The user would see his last comment (e.g. he can edit it if he wants), and also see clearly that it was saved.

Thanks again
- leonard

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for your feedback. Your remarks are good and I already started working on a few of them :

- The comments can be shown directly into the page if you configure the webpart to do so, the AJAX routine didn't work perfectly but now (when I'll upload the new version), users will directly see their comment without the need to refresh the page...

- For the user rating, I'll probably add the possibility to have an "ok" button showing up next to the stars or below the comments block so that it is more obvious for users

- I'll include a feedback message

- For the page rating, it's indeed not showing up in the "Show Ratings" webpart because it uses a different mechanism...The only place where you can see them is indeed via the page rating report. I might implement an alternative but this will probably not be included in the show ratings to avoid performance issues. I'll see what I can do.

I've already implemented a few new things but as I don't have MOSS at the moment (no environment), I'm stuck with a WSS VM so I can't implement my changes in the MOSS version. I'll only be able to do it when I'll have a new laptop which might take some time...

Best Regards

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:04 PM
len wrote:

I have "unhided" the hidden list "PageRating", as you described in a previous post, so that the Web Part "Rating System - Show Rating" displays the Page Ratings too.

Would anyone be kind enough to explain the process of "unhiding" the PageRating list?   The PageRating for Blog posts looks great, using the so-called "alternate method." The results are very professional.   I would like to be able to use the Results web-part too, however.  I am new to SharePoint and can't seem to find a way of either querying or unhiding the PageRating list.  Advice would be appreciated.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM

The learning curve is steep, but I shall crest it yet.  Here's what I've learned:

1) The location of the hidden PageRating list is: http://sitename/contest/Lists/PageRating/AllItems.aspx

2) I can unhide the list using Microsoft SharePoint Designer. I missed a step in my notes, but somehow I opened the list via the URL http://sitename/Lists/PageRating/.  I was then able to bring up the List Properties and uncheck "Hide from browsers" on the Settings tab.

After that, the "Rating Systems - Show Ratings" web part populated...  The Vote Results list the URL to the blog posts, however, rather than the title of the blog post.  The result entries are "/sitename/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=2", for example, rather than "My Funny Blog Post".

Its a start, though.  I'll keep hacking a way.  I might revert to the "standard" blog ratings, though, if I can't come up with a "pretty" view of the results.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Hi,

This list is indeed hidden by default because I didn't want anybody (even an admin) to influence the way ratings are counted for one or more pages. If you start "playing" with the data, the solution will not garantee that the ratings are correct anymore.

As you're not the first one to request for the possibility to export page ratings to make statistics, I'll try to include that in the next release which will occur soon. I'm already working on it and it should be ready by the end of next week. I've also improved the way the page rating comments are handled.

And also, I added an animation telling the user that his rating was taken into account when clicking. There will be new features too (at least for the basket solution).

Best Regards

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:50 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Thanks for the update. I look forward to evaluating the next release.

In the meantime, I attempted to re-enable the "Blog Rating" feature.   Alas, when I try to "Activate" Blog Rating, SharePoint throws the following error:  "Value does not fall within the expected range. "

Update: I tried removing the solution and reinstalling it; but still could not reactivate Blog Rating.   Deleting the Blog Site, however, and creating a new one, worked just fine. 

Thanks.