Document Rating doesn't work

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Hi Stephan,

I installed SharePoint Document Rating System MOSS ONLY Solution  and I activated these Features

- Rating Solution Language Files

- Document Rating

I added new content in the docuemnt library , new columns ect ect.. but when I click on Rate on view Comments  I have Unknwon error...

What did I wrong?

Thanks a lot

Luciana

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Hi,

You probably didn't activate the application feature (Rating language files) for the right application. Make sure you select the right one and it should be all right.

Best Regards

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Hi Stephane,

I Activated Rating Language files on all web application, but it is the same..

I have a moss installation in english and language pack in ITalian, may  be it the problem?

Thanks

Luciana

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Hi Luciana,

It should default to English...You could easily identity if it's the problem or not by creating a site in English and see if it still fails.

Best Regards

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Hi,

I created a Subsite in english but I have the same problem...

Thanks..

Luciana

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Hi,

Then, it should be another problem....May be the resources files were not copied at all but I don't see why. You should check in the 12\LOGS to see if you have more information than "unknown error"... If you have access to the environment, you could try to open c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\<port>\App_GlobalResources\ and see if the files have been deployed. Their name are starting with RatingResources....

If it's not deployed, it means that there is an issue at the feature activation but it should throw an exception...

Best Regards

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Great!

Now it work!!!

Thanks

((((-;

Luciana

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM

And what was the problem?

Cheers

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I have two macchine in my farm in NLB and this solution is correctly installed in the central machine but not in the second,

I copy in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\<port>\App_GlobalResources\ all file RatingResources and it starts to work.

Thanks

Luciana

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Thanks Luci for the update. It helped me in fixing up the same issue in my farm environment.

Stephy, Any idea of updating the manual with few tips on installing/extending the system in a farm environment? (If some separate steps needs to be taken for the same..)

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Hi,

Yes, the code did probably not run on all the front-ends.

What I'll do is to copy the resource files in 12\CONFIG\Resources so that a stsadm -o copyappbincontent will copy the resource files in all the web apps.

Best Regards

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Hi Stephane

I have done the copying of the \App_GlobalResources\ as highlighted above.  However, a problem occurs when I go into the Farm's Central Admin and active the feature on the web application that i want it on.  It simply says File not found.  But the feature can activate when its against the web application for the CA itself (But I believe this is not what you are suppose to do?)

Because this step in the CA could not succeed, in the site actions for the web application itself, the feature could not be switched on.  You get the expected outcome of "One or more features must be turned on before this feature can be activated."  Rating solution language files.

I found in the logs on one of the WFE servers

#20015: Cannot open "Resources.en-US.resx": no such file or folder. 
08/05/2009 18:26:23.95  w3wp.exe (0x0748)                        0x0BDC Windows SharePoint Services    General                        72kg High     (#2: Cannot open "Resources.en-US.resx": no such file or folder.)

Failed to open the language resource for Feaa8075a8d-01c1-4315-83ee-4737576a2c81 keyfile Resources. 
08/05/2009 18:26:23.95  w3wp.exe (0x0748)                        0x0BDC Windows SharePoint Services    General                        72kg High     #20015: Cannot open "Resources.en-US.resx": no such file or folder. 
08/05/2009 18:26:23.95  w3wp.exe (0x0748)                        0x0BDC Windows SharePoint Services    General                        72kg High     (#2: Cannot open "Resources.en-US.resx": no such file or folder.) 
08/05/2009 18:26:23.95  w3wp.exe (0x0748)                        0x0BDC Windows SharePoint Services    General                        8e26 Medium   Failed to open the language resource for Feaa8075a8d-01c1-4315-83ee-4737576a2c81 keyfile Resources.

I think it is because my CA is not also a WFE, I have 2 other WFEs in the farm, even after copying all the Ratingxxx files manually to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\virtualdirectories\<port>\App_GlobalResources\ on each of the WFEs the problem won't go away.

Do you have ideas, and what I can do behind the scenes to get this working.

Many thanks 

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM

To add,

If I enable my CA Server with a WFE admin role, the solution then works on my other WFEs.

Is this expected behaviour?

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM

To add,

If I enable my CA Server with a WFE admin role, the solution then works on my other WFEs.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:31 AM

To add,

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Hi,

Well, I'll have to rework the way the application resource files are deployed. I think I'll leave the application feature and I'll create a timer job that deploys the files to the App_GlobalResources of each activated application.

For now, what you can do is to copy the files manually....on the other web front-end

Best Regards

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Hi Stephane

I think it is also important to note from my experience, as well as copying the files manually and placing them on 12\CONFIG\Resources so that stsadm -o copyappbincontent can perform the copy.

If one is running a Farm, the Server that runs the CA must also have the Sharepoint Web Application Services (WFE role) switched on.  Otherwise, there was no way of getting round the error activating the feature in the CA for the designated web application.

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Hi (don't know your firstname :)),

You're right with stsadm -o copyappbincontent but it still requires to be executed on each front-end web server. I've modified the solution in such a way that activating the feature will really perform the copy on each web front-end automatically.

I'll release it soon, probably next week.

Best Regards

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Just a note, I downloaded the Highlight.wsp file (MOSS) and installed it on my stand-alone (havne't moved it to the medium farm yet).

1. Add the solution to your solution store.

2. Go into Central Admin and under Application Management select Manage Web Application Features. Activate the Rating Solutions Language files first (make sure you have the right web app selected, top right)

3. Go to site collection features on the site collection and activate Document Rating and any other features around it.

Notes:

1. Could not activate Document Rating Search web part (complained that Document Rating Search feature wasn't activated, couldn't find that feature)

2. Ratings worked on article pages but couldn't get comments work (comments won't save and when you click on view comments the page in the popup shows an error).

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Hi Bill,

1) The document Rating search webpart can only be activated when the farm feature "Rating search" is activated. That feature can only be activated when a full crawl has taken place since it needs to add some managed properties to the search engine. (This is written in the manual)

2) For this point, it's quite strange...Have you tried to configure the webpart so that the comments are shown directly in the page? (modify the webpart and check the property "show the comments in the page"). Just to see.

What error do you get when clicking on the comment icon?

Best Regards

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Never mind for the error, I figured it out...I thought I had fixed that already...this is scary. The problem is that I have to maintaint three different versions (WSS, MOSS & the basket solution)...I'll reupload it in 10 minutes. So you can just redownload it and this will be fixed.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:57 PM
StephaneEyskens wrote:

Never mind for the error, I figured it out...I thought I had fixed that already...this is scary. The problem is that I have to maintaint three different versions (WSS, MOSS & the basket solution)...I'll reupload it in 10 minutes. So you can just redownload it and this will be fixed.

I'm assuming you mean you fixed the error on comments? I'm running MOSS and the comments box is there but doesn't seem to be any way to submit them (is there supposed to be a button?). I've embedded the comments and it's a little better. I'll await the new upload and see if it's any better.

Yeah, maintaining multiple versions of the app is brutal. Good work so far!

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:00 PM
StephaneEyskens wrote:

Hi Bill,

1) The document Rating search webpart can only be activated when the farm feature "Rating search" is activated. That feature can only be activated when a full crawl has taken place since it needs to add some managed properties to the search engine. (This is written in the manual)

2) For this point, it's quite strange...Have you tried to configure the webpart so that the comments are shown directly in the page? (modify the webpart and check the property "show the comments in the page"). Just to see.

What error do you get when clicking on the comment icon?

Best Regards

I see the search feature in the farm features. Doing a full crawl to activate it. I'm not much for reading documentation ;)

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2009 at 8:05 PM

I was a bit optimistic for the 10 minutes, it's a 1 min fix but I need to start a very slow VM....I've already reuploaded the wss version but I still need to recompile the MOSS one. It should be done within 15 minutes...

For the comments, it's may be not intuitive but your comment is taken into account as soon as you rate. So you've got to click on the stars in the same time. Well first insert a comment and then rate!

I might change that since you're the 2nd person to report that I should allow multiple comments and add a button....

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:14 PM
StephaneEyskens wrote:

I was a bit optimistic for the 10 minutes, it's a 1 min fix but I need to start a very slow VM....I've already reuploaded the wss version but I still need to recompile the MOSS one. It should be done within 15 minutes...

For the comments, it's may be not intuitive but your comment is taken into account as soon as you rate. So you've got to click on the stars in the same time. Well first insert a comment and then rate!

I might change that since you're the 2nd person to report that I should allow multiple comments and add a button....

Yeah, it's not intuitive. The ratings are above the comments so I assume you rate then the comment box is there so I enter a comment. Didn't know it should be the other way around. Some options would be nice (ratings separated from comments, comment button, ability to have comments box and previous comments all visible).

Check out this WordPress plugin for ideas around the ratings as it's got everything including the kitchen sink: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gd-star-rating/

As for comments and ratings together, most blogs have a simple system that works. I would look at modelling it on that rather than trying to create your own approach.

Thanks!

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Yeah you're probably right. I'll check it out! However, I didn't plan to make a multiple comments per user approach when commenting on pages or documents etc...For that, you can use blogs.

Well, I've reuploaded the MOSS solution with the fix. I'll have a look at your link tomorrow and see if I can adapt my page rating webpart (it's the only one to adapt basically...) so that it complies more with other rating solutions but I'll do that tomorrow since it's already almost 10pm in Belgium :) and I'm a bit tired now.

Cheers

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Hi Stephan, I tried to active Document Search but I have this error 

Unknown Error

I Created all properties and I did full crawl.

)-,

Luciana

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Ops,

I installed your last MOSS solution

Thanks

Luciana