Migrating spdocrating values to SharePoint Server 2010

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Hi,

Is there any guideline/code available to migrate the rating values of spdocrating used in MOSS 2007 to SharePoint Server 2010?

Detailed description: I've upgraded the SharePoint instance through 'database attach upgrade' method. Once upgraded, I found the rating values (vote results) column is displayed as invalid column in library settings. My plan is to use the out of the box rating system. However, I need to migrate the rated values to the SharePoint rating column. I found this article in microsoft library: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee581618.aspx But how shall i read the average rate to use it in this code? Please guide me.

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Hi,

There is no way to "transfer" rating values into Microsoft's rating system. There are built in a totally different way. You could still use my rating system by installing the 2010 version available at http://sptoolbasket2010.codeplex.com/ but in that case, it would be less integrated than the OOTB one. It's up to you to chose.

I've built a version for 2010 because there is no rating system included in SharePoint Foundation.

Best Regards

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Hello StephaneEyskens - Thanks for the rating system! Just to clarify. Will the current rating system in MOSS (SharePoint Tool Basket) still work and migrate over completely when installing your 2010 rating system in SharePoint 2010? Meaning, all site collections using the rating system in MOSS will migrate and able to continue using  the rating system when installing your 2010 SP Tool basket? 

Thank you for your help. 

Coordinator
Jun 2, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Hi,

I've never tested a migration. The rating values are stored in the content databases so as long as you migrate your SQL databases, you'll find the rating back in 2010. However, the 2010 solution is done for Foundation not for SharePoint Server.

I'd advise you to keep the 2007 version and to migrate that one to server. It would require a very litle code adaptation for the custom field types.

Best Regards