Disable Vote Report

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM

My business case is to eliminate the ability to see who and how individuals voted.  I can get rid of the 'View Comment' column (I deleted the column all together) but the user still has the option off the drop down menu of 'View Vote Report'.  I'm considering getting rid of the drop down menu on all views but then the user loses some funtionality they'd rather not lose. 

I'm currently using the Item content type.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Hi,

If you want to eliminate the "view vote" custom action from the ECB menu, you can customize the solution and redeploy it. It's a very easy change. Just edit the customactions.xml file located in 12\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\DocumentRating and remove the <customaction element with the ID 

70FCCA5C-B293-4778-8DF1-737F3545E5E1

Afterwards, you can just rebuild the package using WSPBuilder (or whatever other tool you want) and redeploy it. This change takes 1 minute :)

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Thanks for the quick response.  I should have followed up last night as I believe I've fixed it, much in the same way you suggested except I didn't have to repackage it.  I haven't rolled this out to my prod environment yet so if this is wrong for some reason please let me know.

All I had to do was deactivate the feature in central admin (I could leave the features a the site collection levels untouched).  Make the changes to the customactions.xml file, then reactivate the feature in central admin.

It looks like it's giving me all the results I want.  Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks again.

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Well, repackaging the solutions is the best practice and makes sure to deploy your changes to all the required servers. (don't know about your farm topology...). However, what I don't understand is the relationship between the features in the central admin and this change?

customactions.xml is belonging to the document rating feature which is a "site collection feature". Therefore, you just need to deactivate/reactivate this feature for all the site collections you want...but you don't need to do anything in the CA.

Best Regards

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Point taken on repackaging being a best practice to ensure best roll out.

I also agree entirely on this deactivate/reactivate being done at the site collection level.  I tried that first and when that didn't work I went up and did it to the feature in CA and got what I wanted.  You've given me enough thought and reason to continue testing before I start pishing things into prod.

Thanks and good day.

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Ok great, have a good day too.