This project is read-only.

Unable to Activate Site Collection Document Rating Feature

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Hi Stephane

Firsly, thanks for developing this. We have a WSS implementation with MS Search installed and get a huge amount of leverage out of it all considering it's 'free'. The one thing we are trying to do is implement and 'innovation system' with ideas capture ... and we need everyone to not only be able to submit, but to be able to vote on other ideas. Your solution is PERFECT!

We have a single server solution with Windows 2003 and WSS 3 installed. This was a fresh install and I have managed to deploy and add the solution to the server. I can see the rating solution language files in the sharepoint central admin and am able to activate it. So far, so good. However, when I go to activate the Document Rating feature in the Site Collection Features I get an error - "One or more features must be turned on before this feature can be activated. Rating solution Language files. etc

Clearly it is installed and activated. I read your install instructions so have also run the stsadmin -o copyappbincontent command but this does not change the result. I have checked the folders and the following exist:

- C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\resources\HighLight\ with 2 *rating.css files

- \app_globalresources has 5 ratingsresource*.resx in it

Not sure how to troubleshoot ... Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM
Edited Aug 12, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Hi stephane,

I just got the same error with a little bit different message when activing the Document Rating feature on my root site collection  with the web interface :"Failed to instantiate file "RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" from module "PageLayouts": Source path "PageLayouts\RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" not found".

My config is a single dev server with wss v3 sp2 and the last Cumulative update from june 2009 and the related french language pack installed.

I downloaded your last version for wss (from monday). No pb do deploy the language files on the web app with the central admin.

I unzip your sources files and did not find the corresponding RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx.

Any idea ?

update:

I've also tested on a new collection site (English, Team site) and the sharepoint logs show the following:

Feature Activation: Activating Feature 'Document Rating' (ID: '593ee132-558f-4bf9-82b9-f862fbd28e79') at URL http://gmsvmd48/sites/test1.    
#20015: Cannot open "cmscore.en-US.resx": no such file or folder.    
(#2: Cannot open "cmscore.en-US.resx": no such file or folder.)    
Failed to open the language resource keyfile cmscore.    
#20015: Cannot open "cmscore.resx": no such file or folder.    
(#2: Cannot open "cmscore.resx": no such file or folder.)    
Localized resource for token 'contenttype_pagelayout_name' could not be found for file with path: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\Document Rating\provisioning.xml".    
#20015: Cannot open "cmscore.en-US.resx": no such file or folder.    
(#2: Cannot open "cmscore.en-US.resx": no such file or folder.)    
#20015: Cannot open "cmscore.resx": no such file or folder.    
(#2: Cannot open "cmscore.resx": no such file or folder.)    
Localized resource for token 'contenttype_welcomepage_name' could not be found for file with path: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\Document Rating\provisioning.xml".    
Ensuring module folder _catalogs/wp    
Ensuring module folder _catalogs/masterpage    
Failed to instantiate file "RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" from module "PageLayouts": Source path "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\Document Rating\PageLayouts\RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" not found.    
Failed to instantiate file "RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" from module "PageLayouts": Source path "PageLayouts\RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" not found.    
The element of type 'Module' for feature 'Document Rating' (id: 593ee132-558f-4bf9-82b9-f862fbd28e79) threw an exception during activation: Failed to instantiate file "RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" from module "PageLayouts": Source path "PageLayouts\RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" not found.    
Feature Activation: Threw an exception, attempting to roll back.  Feature 'Document Rating' (ID: '593ee132-558f-4bf9-82b9-f862fbd28e79').  Exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Failed to instantiate file "RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" from module "PageLayouts": Source path "PageLayouts\RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" not found. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x81070587): Failed to instantiate file "RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" from module "PageLayouts": Source path "PageLayouts\RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" not found.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.EnableModuleFromXml(String bstrFeatureDirectory, String bstrUrl, String bstrXML)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.EnableModuleFromXml(String bstrFeatureDirectory, String bstrUrl, Stri...    
...ng bstrXML)     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.EnableModuleFromXml(String bstrFeatureDirectory, String bstrUrl, String bstrXML)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPModule.ActivateFromFeature(SPFeatureDefinition featdef, XmlNode xnModule, SPWeb web)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPModuleElement.ElementActivated(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPSqlCommand sqlcmdAppendOnly, SPWebApplication webApp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPElementDefinitionCollection.ProvisionModules(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPElementDefinitionCollection.ProvisionElements(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPWebApplication...    
... webapp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.ProvisionElements(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPWebApplication webapp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce)   

i continue to investigate...

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:20 PM
Hi gayo,

Yes, you're right! I made an upload very recently and I have to push my updates to three different versions (WSS, MOSS & Basket) and I forgot to remove that from the feature.xml file.

I'll reupload the solution so you can redownload it

Best Regards

Stephane Eyskens
SharePoint Contributions :
http://www.codeplex.com/sptoolbasket
http://sharepoint.developpez.com/
http://www.silver-it.com/

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:00:01 -0700
Subject: Re: Unable to Activate Site Collection Document Rating Feature [sptoolbasket:65323]

Hi stephane,

I just got the same error with a little bit different message when activing the Document Rating feature on my root site collection with the web interface :"Failed to instantiate file "RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" from module "PageLayouts": Source path "PageLayouts\RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" not found".
My config is a single dev server with wss v3 sp2 and the last Cumulative update from june 2009 and the related french language pack installed.
I downloaded your last version for wss (from monday). No pb do deploy the language files on the web app with the central admin.
I unzip your sources files and did not find the corresponding RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx.
Any idea ?

What can you do with the new Windows Live? Find out
Aug 12, 2009 at 9:37 PM
Gayo,

I've re-uploaded the solution on CodePlex, you can re-download it. That bug was due to the last release...

I'm going to make a new release again probably this week-end and this will include a very big improvement of the page rating webpart so while you are testing the solution, I encourage you to keep an eye on it early of next week or this week-end.

Best Regards

Stephane Eyskens
SharePoint Contributions :
http://www.codeplex.com/sptoolbasket
http://sharepoint.developpez.com/
http://www.silver-it.com/

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:00:01 -0700
Subject: Re: Unable to Activate Site Collection Document Rating Feature [sptoolbasket:65323]

Hi stephane,

I just got the same error with a little bit different message when activing the Document Rating feature on my root site collection with the web interface :"Failed to instantiate file "RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" from module "PageLayouts": Source path "PageLayouts\RatingBlankWebPartPage.aspx" not found".
Any idea ?

What can you do with the new Windows Live? Find out
Aug 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM

many thanks stephane for your quick answer. i'll check again your new release and keep you in touch.

Regards

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:36 AM
Edited Aug 13, 2009 at 4:46 AM

Hi Stephane,

Glad you are watching this thread :-)

I have also upgraded and deployed the new file and still have the same issue. The log file shows this straight after the Document Rating feature fails to activate:

08/13/2009 12:55:58.89     w3wp.exe (0x1A2C)                           0x1558    Windows SharePoint Services       General                           75fe    High        Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '1d761b30-7eed-11db-9fe1-0800200c9a67'.  Skipping this feature for element querying consideration.    
08/13/2009 12:55:58.89     w3wp.exe (0x1A2C)                           0x1558    Windows SharePoint Services       General                           75fe    High        Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '2bd78eb6-3060-47fa-8ee7-2733473960ce'.  Skipping this feature for element querying consideration.    
08/13/2009 12:55:59.03     w3wp.exe (0x1A2C)                           0x1558    Windows SharePoint Services       General                           75fe    High        Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '1d761b30-7eed-11db-9fe1-0800200c9a67'.  Skipping this feature for element querying consideration.    
08/13/2009 12:55:59.03     w3wp.exe (0x1A2C)                           0x1558    Windows SharePoint Services       General                           75fe    High        Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '2bd78eb6-3060-47fa-8ee7-2733473960ce'.  Skipping this feature for element querying consideration.    
08/13/2009 12:55:59.03     w3wp.exe (0x1A2C)                           0x1558    Windows SharePoint Services       General                           75fe    High        Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '1d761b30-7eed-11db-9fe1-0800200c9a67'.  Skipping this feature for element querying consideration.    
08/13/2009 12:55:59.03     w3wp.exe (0x1A2C)                           0x1558    Windows SharePoint Services       General                           75fe    High        Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '2bd78eb6-3060-47fa-8ee7-2733473960ce'.  Skipping this feature for element querying consideration.    
08/13/2009 12:55:58.89     w3wp.exe (0x1A2C)                           0x1558    Windows SharePoint Services       General                           75fe    High        Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '1d761b30-7eed-11db-9fe1-0800200c9a67'.  Skipping this feature for element querying consideration.    
08/13/2009 12:55:58.89     w3wp.exe (0x1A2C)                           0x1558    Windows SharePoint Services       General                           75fe    High        Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '2bd78eb6-3060-47fa-8ee7-2733473960ce'.  Skipping this feature for element querying consideration.   

Everything looks happy in the Central Admin:

Name: highlightwss.wsp
Type: Core Solution
Contains Web Application Resource: Yes
Contains Global Assembly: Yes
Contains Code Access Security Policy: No
Deployment Server Type: Front-end Web server
Deployment Status: Deployed
Deployed To: http://wss3/; http://wss3:43458/; http://wss3:32495/
Last Operation Result: The solution was successfully deployed.
Last Operation Details: WSS3 : http://wss3:32495/ : The solution was successfully deployed.
WSS3 : http://wss3:43458/ : The solution was successfully deployed.
WSS3 : http://wss3/ : The solution was successfully deployed.
Last Operation Time: 8/13/2009 12:38 PM

The Ratings Solutions Language Files are activated in Central Administration / Manage Web Application Features.

I can see the Document Rating Feature on the Site Collection Features page but it won't activate ... very frustrating ... I am sure it's something simple. The Blog Rating and Document Rating Moderator features are visible in the Site Features page.

I can wait until your next version on the weekend and remove it and re-install it next week if it is going to contain a fix ... if not, anything I can try?

Thanks.

Regards,

Andrew

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Hi Andrew,

The feature IDs provided by the logs are not mine :)) so these errors do not seem to be related with my solution. I think that what happens with your config is that you did activate the rating language files features (web app features) for the wrong web application. Make sure to choose the right one (the one that contains your site collection) via the application picker and then try again to activate the site collection feature.

The problem mentioned by Gayo was a "real" problem since I just made a new release and I forgot to remove an extra file (coming from the MOSS solution) so make sure to re-download the solution before you retry.

Best Regards

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Hi Stephane,

Errrr ... you can tell I am running on the 'edge of my knowledge' here ... thanks so much, that was of course the issue.

I really appreciate your patience with my lack of skill :-)

Thanks again for providing such as a great enhancement to WSS.

Best Regards,

Andrew

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:15 AM

Hi Andrew,

No problem :). Don't hesitate to give feedback, suggestions etc...

Best Regards

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Hi stephane,

I join Andrew to say you that's a really very good job. That works fine for me now.

My target is to use it inside a customized blog (EBE codeplex project). One little suggestion. Is it possible to get a settings page with the possibility to choice the labels displayed on the drop down list while rating and to check/uncheck the visbility of the comment field. Since users can already comment each post, i would like to add only the rating capability and remove the comment field.

Thanks again

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Gayo,

Great suggestion. I'll include that in the next release (probably this week-end or early next week).

Best Regards