This project is read-only.

Document Rating Search feature not available

May 18, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I deployed the Document Rating solution on all web apps and got it working on the sites.  However, when I went to the farm features, the Document Rating Search feature isn't listed.  I've done a full search crawl as well.

Please help!

May 21, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Hi,

Did you check the deployment status of the solution? You might have encountered a problem there. Which solution did you download?

Best Regards

May 21, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Hi Stephane,

I checked the deployment of the solution and it was successful.  I downloaded both the "SharePoint Document Rating Solution WSS" and "SharePoint Document Rating System MOSS ONLY Solution."  I tried deploying both solutions (I retracted/deleted before deploying the other).   Is there a logfile you'd like me to look at? 

I noticed that an RHI developer has been posting as well.  We're on the same team. =)  Basically, she's trying to get this add-on working with the rest of our system and I've been investigating the Document Rating feature.  The feature works fine, I'm just not able to get the rating search feature to show up on the farm features.

The status of the deployment shows:

Name: highlight.wsp
Type: Core Solution
Contains Web Application Resource: Yes
Contains Global Assembly: Yes
Contains Code Access Security Policy: No
Deployment Server Type: Front-end Web server
Deployment Status: Deployed
Deployed To: http://hqp-is-sbx01:46225/; http://hqp-is-sbx01/
Last Operation Result: The solution was successfully deployed.
Last Operation Details: HQP-IS-SBX01 : http://hqp-is-sbx01:46225/ : The solution was successfully deployed.
Last Operation Time:

5/18/2009 11:40 AM

May 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Hi,

The WSS solution does not contain the farm feature since the search engine doesn't support it, so it is normal that nothing shows up in the farm features. You should uninstall the WSS solution completely, then install the MOSS one and then have a look.

What you could do also is checking whether the feature folder is well created (after having installed the MOSS solution). The feature is "Document Rating Search". you could try to force the installation of the feature stsadm -o installfeature -name "Document Rating Search" -force.

Although this is in theory not necessary...I installed the solution twice this week on different environments and didn't experience any problem...

Best Regards

May 21, 2009 at 10:14 PM

By the way, for RHI, it's fixed :). Just redownload the solution and an upgrade will make it work.

stsadm -o upgradesolution -name HighLight.wsp -filename <path to the wsp> -immediate -allowgacdeployment

Best Regards

May 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM
Edited May 21, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Now I remember what I did: I originally installed the MOSS ONLY solution about a month ago.  When the newer version came out, I had trouble updating it so then I pulled everything out and must have deployed the WSS solution.  No wonder it wasn't showing up.

Thank you so much for your help, Stephane!

I got the "Rate It!" to show up on the results page but when clicking on it or the stars, I get the "Unknown Error" message.  The Document Rating content type was added as the default for the library I was working with.

May 22, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Yes it's normal. The system has changed a bit as I mentionned in the manual :). Actually there is a new application feature that deploys the language files (en/fr/nl) in the App_GlobalREsources of the target webapp. You need to turn this out first.

The "Unknown Error" is due to the fact that the system doesn't find the language keys since you didn't activate the feature :).

So, go to the central admin, application features => activate Rating language resource files

Best Regards

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Thanks for your help, Stephane. 

Now we've managed to deploy it into our QA environment and we're having trouble with activating the doc rating search (farm feature) again.  I made sure to activate the language files webapp feature first.

After deploying the solution and activating the rating feature on a site collection, I uploaded a test document and put a rating on it then ran a full crawl.  I still can't activate the doc rating search farm feature. 

When doing so, it gives the "unknown error."

Please help! =)

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:18 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM

The farm feature creates the search managed properties. It should never throw an "unknow error" error. The only reason it could fail is if it doesn't find the required crawled properties (vote results etc...) but in that case it would return a message such as "could not find the required crawled property...".

If you get "unknown error" it means that the system fails in some way but not my code (since every exception is trapped...). You should go to the 12\LOGS to see if you get extra information.

PS : also just check whether the search properties do not already exist (in case you activated, retractred the solution without deactivating the feature first...). The properties are "ContentRating, ContentRatingContentType and ContentRatingItemId. Just make sure they do not already exist otherwise, delete them and reactivate the feature (the deactivation of the feature removes those properties but if you didn't deactivate it....)

Best Regards

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:45 PM
Edited Aug 25, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Hi Stephane

I delete the properties "ContentRating,,,," but when I try to active Document Search features I have this error

The variant type 31 cannot be mapped to managed data type Integer

Please help me Thx

Luciana