This project is read-only.

Document Rating issues with Knowledge Base template

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM
I am using the knowledge base template provided by Microsoft 40 Application templates, i am unable to use your Document rating feature on the Knowledge Base document library, even after creating a new Content Type that inherits from Document Rating content type as per guidelines mentioned in the PDF file.
Tried all options to customize the existing content types of Knowledge base list, but couldn't find solution, how do u get this to work with a Knowledge Base document library....

I was able to make it work with the other document libraries, i found a problem, when i expose that document library as a web part on a page with Vote results column for the users to be able to see votes, and when for the first time a document is uploaded with no ratings, i need to be able to see a Rate hyperlink, which is missing from the List view web part on the page, but available within the doc library, what should i do in this case....
Feb 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM
Hi,

I never tried it using the knowledge base template, I'll try. Regarding the other problem, when you deploy a doc lib within a page, it's deployed using a listview webpart. In that case, you must include the name column...Sometimes for other types of lists, you need to include the name column with the edit menu...I cannot change anything about that.

Best Regards
Feb 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2009 at 3:29 PM
Hi,

I tested the rating with the knowledge base template and it works perfectly. As stated in the manual, whereever you upload a document, you need to specify that its content type is "document rating" otherwise you can't rate it....Adding the content type to the doc lib isn't sufficient if you don't use it afterwards....

Of course if your plan is to use the knowledge base content types, than you can just rate them using the page rating webpart :) since those content types are used to create pages :)

Look at the screenshot here

Best Regards
Feb 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2009 at 4:19 PM
Hi Stephane,

Thanks for your prompt response. You are doing a great job, adding value to the MOSS developer community.

I am able to see the rating option now with the new content type i have created. But i do not get the same view of the new form that was configured with the Knowledge Base template, i have all the required columns in the Content Type, but cant get to work the Related Articles column...

The snapshot is a Page Rating webpart, how can i add this on each page, since it is a knowledge base, and there will be hundreds of document that gets generated each single day, how to manage this, giving user control over rating each page created...

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM
Hi,

If you add the page rating webpart as illustrated by my previous post? It's not ok for you?

Best Regards
Feb 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM
It will be difficult to embed Page Rating webpart in each page that user creates...
Feb 5, 2009 at 4:54 PM
Yes you're right! It's possible to do it with an event receiver or a policy and just add the webpart by code but it requires development of course.
Feb 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM
Hey Stephane,

Thanks for your prompt and valuable replies. I will definitely find a way out....
Feb 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM
Hi,

Ok fine. Well, anyway I'm going to develop the policy. That will be usable in page and document libraries and will add the page rating webpart automatically to any page having a webpart zone.

Best Regards
Feb 6, 2009 at 11:09 AM
Hey thts really nice of you....By when can the users of this webpart see that policy in action....Best of luck...
Feb 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM
I think I'll finish it during the week-end.
Feb 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM
Kewl, looking forward to using it man...thnaks for all the help...
Jan 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM
Edited Jan 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM

HI,

I'm glad that someone with the knowledg shares it to everty one.

I'm tring to use the ratting in the MS KB template, and i have now the possibility to vote in tha page but, when i try to get the view coments ou view result sisplaying the list of article i don't have the link.

Can you explain me a way to do this?

This is a VERY NICE TOOL!

NunoCachinho

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:44 AM

hello.

i've finish using a costum content tyoe from rating document and then add some coluns to it to have the same look and funcionality that the KnowledgBase Documents had.

cachinho.com